Sunday, February 15, 2009

I am feeling OLD today



Yes, I am feeling rather old today. My oldest "baby" is 18 today! Lord help us all (laughing). When he was a baby I could not imagine him as a "man". Now, 120 seconds later, here we are.

My little boy has grown from 20 1/2" to 75". In case you don't want to do the math...that is 6'3". I have been blessed with the opportunity to experience every laugh, tear, first love, first heartbreak, disappointments and many accomplishment of this precious child. I have watched his many transformations from a chubby baby to a skinny toddler, chunky cheeked kid to a handsome young man.

Once I had to run after him down our inclined alley, he in his walker laughing all the way. When I caught him his brand new socks were completely tattered. I was frazzled and he said "again". Little did I know then that this would be typical Jake with mom running after him.

Always the boy, I found him at 2 in the bathroom laughing like a hyaena with a once full bottle of ajax in his hands. He had the ajax dust all over him, the bathroom counter, the floor...everywhere. (FYI -- It is extremely hard and takes weeks to clean the all the residual remains of Ajax.)

I am so proud of this kid! Being only a "child" myself when he was born, he has had to overcome many obstacles. Despite that, he has become a loving, funny, smart and handsome young man. Because I was so young and immature, I cannot take all the credit for what he has become. My mom (nini) and dad have been a very integral part of who he is.

Now days he spends most of his time with his posse (he always has 3 or 4 kids in tow), mudding in his new "monster" truck, spending time with his new girlfriend, or just "hanging out". I still worry about him constantly, but am very proud of what he has become thus far. We made it to 18, now I just have to get him graduated in June (cross your fingers).

No comments:

Post a Comment